Spray Tanning Brisbane: Pre and Post Tanning Tips and Tricks
Spray tanning isn’t a simple matter of stripping down and spraying yourself with a self-tanner. If you want to do it right, and make the tan last, you have to make sure you prepared yourself for the entire process.
To help you out, here’s a list of things to do before and after spray tanning in brisbane.
The Day Before
The preparation doesn’t just start on the actual day of the spray tanning procedure. You have to be ready from the day before. But what is it exactly that you need to pay attention to?
- Wax or Shave – If you must shave or wax before a spray tanning session, make sure you do it at least 24 hours before. Why? So the hair follicles and your pores have time to close back up before you get your tan.
- Manicure and Pedicure – Scrubs, acetone and many of the other chemicals used in manicure and pedicure procedures can scrub off the tan. If you need to get your nails done, therefore, do it the day before and not after the tanning procedure.
- Exfoliate – The human skin always has a layer of dead skin cells on top. This is what the spray tanning solution affects. If the layer of dead cells is very thick, it will rub off much sooner, taking the tan with it. On the other hand, a shallower layer allows the tan to last longer as layer builds up. Exfoliating also gets rid of unsightly bumps that can give you an uneven tan.
- Hydration – It’s not just about drinking your fluids. Your skin also needs to stay hydrated so the tanning solution will be absorbed better. Find a good hydrating lotion and lather up!
The Day of Tanning
When the day of tanning has arrived, make sure you do the following.
Showering removes any lotion, moisturizer, deodorant, makeup and anything else you may have on your skin surface. This should allow the tanning solution to be absorbed properly by the skin.
A few words of caution though:
- Do not use any bar soap of any kind. Even the mildest ones can leave a layer of film on your skin.
- Use only oil-free products. Oil will stop the absorption of the tanner.
You need to find a pre-tanning scrub and not one with moisturizers. It’s important that you do not use any other product that’s not specifically labeled for “sunless tanning” or “pre-tan.” You’d know you did the exfoliation right if your skin feels dry and clean after doing it.
3. Brush Your Teeth
Many women overlook the fact that water dripping on your arm can leave streaks. And you don’t really want a white ring around your mouth, do you? So brush your teeth before the spray tanning procedure.
Finally, if you have children, you might want to bathe them before your tanning session. Remember, you won’t be able to do that for the next 8-12 hours after the session.
After the Tanning Session
Now that you’ve gotten your spray tan, here are some tips to ensure it’s not ruined and stays on for as long as possible.
What you wear can impact how well your airbrush tan looks after the session. Do not go for tight fitting clothes, at least not for the next couple of hours after the procedure. The friction can cause the solution to rub off. Do not wear nylon or wool, either as those have a tendency to absorb bronzers. Rather, opt for loose, dark-colored baggy shirts and pajama-style pants.
Women should also avoid wearing a bra for at least 4 hours after the tanning procedure. Like tight fitting clothes, the bra will rub the color off.
Socks and tennis shoes will rub on tops of feet and the ankle area and will rub your tan right off.
For the next 10 hours after the spray tan is applied, you must avoid showers, baths or getting in water of any kind. The color needs this much time to process and be fully absorbed by the skin. If you can, wait until the following day before showering.
When you finally shower, you might see some of the bronze washing away. Do not panic. That’s actually quite normal.
This may be a bit hard to do but avoid sweating as much as possible. Just like with water, it can wash away the tan at best and at worst, leave ugly looking streaks.
Final word of advice: stay away from the dog. If you have one for a pet, then avoid him immediately after your spray tanning session. One lick from your canine and you can kiss your meticulously applied tan goodbye.
That’s it. Good luck and have fun spray tanning!